"Do not envy others. You have no idea what their journey is about."

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Brave Soles


It is 12 midnight and I just finished packing my bag. In less than 4 hours, I will be at the airport again. Yey! Finally, I’m traveling! Though it seems there’s nothing new to it, there actually is. It’s different from all the previous trips that I had because for the first time, I’m going solo. It will just be me and my backpack. 

You see, I like to be always on the road. I like to travel; evidenced by my previous posts on my thoughts and dream of seeing the world. 

For 3 years, I still haven’t been to many places. And on those few where I have been, I was always with friends and/or with my mom. Don’t get me wrong, I love their company. So much that I’m looking forward to our trips on the second half of this year. 

I am just consumed by the idea of being alone in some place unfamiliar. 

I have been planning to do this since 2010. I have been following blogs by solo female backpackers that I’m slowly dying of envy every time. I have been researching and contemplating on which perfect place to go for my first trip. But for some reason (I refuse to disclose), not one plan materialized.

I’ve considered Sagada, Calaguas, Tagaytay, Baguio, Batangas, Dakak and even Tawi-Tawi. But it’s always either too near or too far, and oftentimes too expensive.

At times when I’ve got nothing to do, I always ask myself: How is it like? Can I gather enough courage to do it? Will I enjoy? What will I gain from it?

The answers to these questions are what I hope to discern when I get back over the weekend. 

This trip actually came unplanned. I already forgot that I booked a plane ticket from an airline promo last year. When I browsed thru my inbox, I saw a confirmation of my booking.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to pursue it since there are a lot of things I’m expecting to spend on right now. I like to be really spontaneous but not on times when budget is a big consideration. It always is, anyway. So yes, I decided I’m going. 

I’m welcoming my birthday month with a bang! ;)

But it wasn’t easy telling people that I’m off for a weekend get-away, alone.
I’m quite surprised that although solo backpacking is a popular thing Westerners do, and at the same time gradually becoming common to Filipinos and Asians, I still get that open-mouth-fallen-jaw-crossed-brows look every time I initiate on the topic of my thoughts of going on a trip, unaccompanied.

You may ask why I obsess on trying to go on a trip alone when it’s so much fun to be with crazy friends.  I wouldn’t argue on that because I also have equally crazy friends. And I definitely enjoy traveling with them and doing crazy things on the side together. But isn’t it good to have some “me-time”, too? I am not sure but I believe it has been studied that spending time alone is actually healthy. It can help you reflect on the various aspects of your life, thus promoting mental, psychological, emotional and even spiritual growth.

Besides, my friends and I always try to have an escapade every year. I don’t think being on my own for some short trips would hurt. I practically live and work alone here in the metro, so what difference will it make anyhow? 

Yes I may come as noisy, naughty, and almost crazy. I can talk non-stop and I can laugh boisterously. But I also constantly seek for privacy. Albeit ironic, I actually find serenity in silence and pleasure in a day or two of solitude.

To quote a line from Kelly Clarkson’s song Stronger “It doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone.”

So imagine lying on a hammock or bench on some secluded beach while reading your favorite book and sipping your favorite drink.

Imagine biking around the temples in Cambodia while waiting for the beautiful sunset.

Imagine doing a yoga retreat in Goa, India. 

Imagine.

The mere imagination of it already brings joy to my senses. I still cannot afford a Cambodia or India trip though. The closest I can get myself now is beach bumming on some small island with a book or my journal while listening to the gentle waves and enjoying the stillness of the place.

As I close my eyes, I’ll take a deep breath; smile sweetly and thank God for these simple things. What a bliss, isn’t it?

So for those who finds me weird because I choose to travel alone, please know the feeling is mutual. In fact I find it rather strange how can some people think that way. I pity their cowardice and lack of independence.

But then again, they are entitled to their own opinion as I am entitled with mine. 

This is me. When it comes to the people and things that I love, I am one fervent soul.

And when it comes to my passion for traveling, I certainly have brave soles.

this is where I'm heading <3

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your trip, gwaps! :) Cheers!

    And yes, you can afford Cambodia. Trust me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks gwaps! i'm still saving up for it. more or less pareho man lang siguro sila sang saigon. hehe :D

      Delete