"Do not envy others. You have no idea what their journey is about."

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Airport Encounter


Last Wednesday night while browsing on Facebook, I saw this link shared by a friend. 


Albeit long, I decided to read the note because the title – Airline Bullying - piqued my interest.

I fly for about 6 times at the minimum to and from my hometown every year. But no, I’m far from being a jet-setter. In fact I’m a sucker of promo fares. Back in October 2010, I only spent P78.00 for a one-way airfare from Manila to Bacolod. Yes you read it right, seventy eight pesos only. The cab fare from Makati to NAIA 3 is even more expensive.

I don’t exactly remember when these promo fares started. It goes as cheap as zero as base fare. So basically, you’re flying for free! Except that you have to pay for the fuel, taxes and surcharges, terminal fees as well as baggage allowance. Indeed, almost everyone can now travel by air. Gone are the days when flying are only for the rich and famous.

Despite flying on a promo, I am fortunate for not having to experience such things as airline bullying or being bumped off from my flight. Or did I? I just simply did not allow it to happen.

I remember in April 2009, Holy Thursday, a friend and I had an early morning flight from Manila to Cagayan de Oro. I felt a little guilty because I woke up late but we still managed to be at the airport an hour before our 6:30am flight. We proceeded to the check in counter but lo and behold, the staff told us that it was already closed. It is a common knowledge that the check in counters closes 45 minutes before the flight. We were there an hour before. Why was it closed?

I kept calm and I patiently asked for an explanation. The airline staff in her annoyed tone answered back “Eh kasi overbooked po yung flight niyo. Karapatan ng airline na mag overbook. Kahit naman papasukin namin kayo sa eroplano wala din kayo mauupuan. Imomove na lang namin kayo sa next flight. Saka may libre naman kayong isang roundtrip domestic ticket eh.”

Ano daw?

I almost lost my temper. The way that she delivered her reply pissed me off. It was very sarcastic and unprofessional. I don’t like to think that it was because I looked like a cheapskate with my I-just-got-out-of-bed-look, shorts, strappy hiking sandals, and big backpack.

I know that some airlines especially budget ones tend to overbook. I do not like the practice and I’m definitely not tolerating it because as far as I was concerned, no airline rule was violated. We were there just in time, and there was no sign that the counter was already closed.

I told the staff: “Miss, I specifically chose that flight because we are following a schedule. We cannot afford to be delayed because everything else will be ruined. If you can tell me what our fault is/are, then by all means, bump us off on this flight. Apparently, you cannot because we both know there is none. And if indeed we are to blame here, why are you offering to move us on the 10am flight free of charge? FYI, I can afford to buy myself a roundtrip ticket to any local destination if I want to. Our schedule is far more important than your cheap freebie. No thanks. Call your supervisor.”

Catch is I delivered that in Filipino (Tagalog). As in malutong na tagalog. Hahaha.

I was thinking of two other friends waiting for us in CDO’s airport. I arranged for a contact who will pick us up at 8am for our white water rafting activity. From CDO, we were also scheduled to go to Bukidnon and Davao so I just cannot waste an hour or two.

Anyway, the crew was astounded I guess because she never said anything after that. She went to some guy whom I supposed was the supervisor. He looked our way but didn’t stand up. I concluded he did not want to engage in a conversation with a furious passenger.

She went back on the check in counter and said something on the crew beside her. She seemed busy with something and it was as if she was leaving her counter. She did leave.

But before she did, I told her “Anong oras na sa inyo? Wag mo kong sasabihan mamaya na boarding na at wala na kami magagawa. Bilisan mo at gawan mo ng paraan yan!”

It turned out she went to the boarding gate and offered a roundtrip ticket to any domestic destination for those two people who are willing to give out their seats and be moved to the next flight.

In the end, we were able to fly on that flight. We skipped the line on the final x-ray check up and we had to run to the gate. The plane was about to leave and why it was not surprising; we were the last ones to board.

Whew.

Lessons learned?

1.)    Be at the airport as early as possible if you’ve not availed the web check-in feature which was launched recently.

2.)    Know your rights as a passenger. Read all the fine prints in your ticket.

To the author of the article whose link I posted above, I salute her for maintaining grace and composure while dealing with such a temper-challenging incident. Good job Ms. Roxanne and I certainly hope it will never happen again. May it serve as lesson; at the same time precaution to passengers. May it also reach our airport/airline/aviation authorities to prevent similar events to happen in the future.



P.S.

Had I not been aggressive, I would have missed this. :p

White Water Rafting, Cagayan de Oro - April 2009

2 comments:

  1. Hay gwaps, we were discussing about our own airline bloopers earlier today. Happened the same thing to me and my two sisters. As in we were already sitting sa plane, ha. Pinababa kami - walang reasons na sinabi. The plane left without us immediately after.

    Hah! All in perfect English and complete emotions ranging from patience to rage - we practically 'bullied' them. We threatened them with women/child abuse/harrassment (minors pa upod ko). Kundi.. Libre hotel, shuttle kag first class pa kami next day.

    Lesson learned: wala. Anhon mo kay atat magpuli sa Christmas. Away kung away ah! Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoah? Seriously? Why of all passengers kamo ang ginpapanaog? Grabe. Sila man una nang bully so what you did was just right and you deserve all the VIP treatment they gave you. Basi kulang pa gani. Hehe. More often that not, mas importante ang oras sang sa freebies nila. You can't get back lost time lalo na pag kis-a lang ang opportunity mo makapuli. Haha.

      I thought of ranting lang because of the FB note na ginshare sang isa ka friend. And very timely man sa Tulfo-Claudine-Raymart eksena. Lol

      Delete