"Do not envy others. You have no idea what their journey is about."

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Errr... I am the Speaker!

Last March 29, 2012, I visited my elementary school. The last time I did was back in December 2008 at the Alumni Homecoming. Prior to that, I never had the chance to go back ever since I graduated in 1999.

It was Holy Family School’s graduation day and I got invited to be the commencement speaker. I was hesitant at first but I eventually agreed because to be remembered and invited by my alma mater is both an honor, and a privilege. I even forgot about my fear, which I’ve read, is also the no. 1 social fear of even the most prominent politicians and the most famous business tycoons: the fear of speaking in public.

The moment I step foot on its grounds, I felt nostalgic. I remembered how we hear mass every first Friday on its church; how we used to play between the three gigantic acacia trees beside it; how we ran and fool around while trying to speak English up to the extent of what we knew about the language; and how we savored the two-peso ice scramble and arroz caldo during recess time.

While my mom’s busy with parking, I saw Sir Steve, our Language & Reading teacher, from afar. I was glad to see him again after so many years. He still looks the same. It seems he hasn’t aged a bit. I’m gladder when, as soon as he saw me, he mentioned my name. Oh, isn’t it nice when even after 13 school years, your grade school teacher still remembers you? Imagine how many batch of pupils have he taught already? 

The baccalaureate mass has just started when we came so mom and I decided to attend. I sat beside Ms. Mil, our school principal who like Sir Steve, appears to be still youthful as always.  

The graduation program started right after the mass. I had to parade along with the graduates and the faculty. I was seated in between the school principal and the school administrator. I was browsing thru the program and I was anxious as my turn to speak was getting nearer.

Just when I thought the privilege of being chosen as a speaker outweighs my fear for public speaking. I was wrong. 

And so I was introduced. For me it was not necessary, but it was obligatory for the benefit of the audience.

I tried to crack a joke to break the ice and to lessen the nervousness. I guess I delivered it quite well as I saw my former teachers and some parents smile, giggle, and laugh a little while I speak, unless I was only imagining things. Hehe :D

Then I started talking. In the middle of my speech, I got lost from where I was reading. My knees were shaking the whole time and I am not sure but the faculty who were seated right behind me must have noticed; perhaps the audience, too. Standing there in front of the glass podium felt like forever but in fact, only eight minutes later, I was done.

Maybe I could have done it better. But overall the experience was splendid. It’s something I will always be proud of. Thank you, Holy Family School for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Here is the link to the final draft of MY SPEECH, not exactly verbatim as I squeezed in a few and spontaneous lines/jokes at the start. 


The graduating batch
Marching with the faculty

With GR, Sir Steve, and Sir Rod.

I thank you! :p



No comments:

Post a Comment